This free and super-friendly workshop is led by trailblazing transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey from San Francisco – and will include conversation, cookies and some beginner movement/dance. Please join us!
* Sean’s company Sean Dorsey Dance is performing in L.A. August 12 & 13 – they are performing their powerful show about LGBT lives Uncovered: The Diary Project.
(Read more: www.highwaysperformance.org).
* Sean will talk about his experience and history as a transperson, how he became a dancer, navigating the arts world as a transperson, directing a transgender arts nonprofit, and how his unique fusion of dance, storytelling and theater is creating space for transgender and queer bodies and stories in dance.
* Sean and amazing company dancer Juan De La Rosa will lead us through some basic stretching and dance movement. No experience necessary! This will be super-friendly, non-judgmental, and for ALL levels, including TOTAL beginners!
* We know that transgender and gender-variant people don’t normally feel welcome, safe or comfortable in dance studios or classes…so please know this is truly going to be a super-friendly environment!
* Wear anything that you’re comfortable in – and that you can move around in. Sweatpants, shorts, loose pants, baggy jeans. There will be no touch involved at all, and you can change privately in gender-neutral bathrooms. There will be snacks too!
SEAN DORSEY is an award-winning dancer and choreographer from San Francisco. As one of the nation’s first out transgender modern dance choreographers, Dorsey has won over audiences from San Francisco to New York with his powerful dances that explore transgender and queer experience. Dorsey is passionate about demystifying modern dance and making it not only accessible but RELEVANT to transgender and queer communities. Sean is also the founder and director of Fresh Meat Productions, a San Francisco nonprofit that creates and presents year-round transgender arts programs. www.seandorseydance.com