Sean Dorsey speaks at the 2019 Dance/USA Conference:
INTERSECTIONALITY through ACTION:
racial justice, trans justice and disability justice in Dance
Friday June 14
Blackbox Studio 521, Fifth Floor
CSU Arts Campus Middough Building
– Dena Stanley (Empress of the Pittsburgh Ballroom Community; Founder and President, Trans YOUniting)
– Duane Binion (Producer, Kelly Strayhorn Theater; Founder and Executive Director, True T PGH)
– Mark Travis Rivera (Artistic Director, marked dance project; Community Engagement Manager, AXIS Dance Company)
– Robin Anderson, Executive Director, AXIS Dance Company
– Sean Dorsey, Artistic Director, Sean Dorsey Dance & Fresh Meat Productions
– Toby MacNutt, queer, nonbinary-trans, disabled multidisciplinary artist/author/teacher
As the dance field begins to acknowledge “intersectionality,” what ACTIONS do we need to take to effectively pursue racial, trans and disability justice? Hear from artist-organizers in the field and join forces in a group-think to identify policy, facility, presenting, funding, hiring and leadership pipeline changes that we need to enact.
Presenters, artists, funders, programmers, cultural leaders, activists, audiences and lovers: join us for a conversation about building solidarity in the fight for racial justice, disability justice and trans justice in the dance field.
How is “access” not enough? Why is “diversity” the wrong approach? What’s the big deal about bathrooms? Solidarity and joining forces is part of the answer. Let’s talk about it!