DANCE YOUR STORY: MOVEMENT + SELF-EXPRESSION WORKSHOP for Trans/LGBTQ/Allies
with transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey
Saturday, September 14, 2019
1pm – 3pm
1105 Euclid Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
Come a little early to sign in and change!
ALWAYS WANTED TO DANCE BUT…
DIDN’T FEEL COMFORTABLE TRYING BECAUSE YOU ARE TRANSGENDER OR LGBTQ?
TERRIFIED BEGINNERS WELCOME! This all-levels, super-friendly workshop led by transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey will lead us through mindful breathing, meditation, a gentle warmup, movement exercises … and then creative self-expression through movement! For ALL levels – including terrified “non-dancers”!
Please join us for this super-friendly and welcoming workshop (especially if you’re terrified!).
FREE! PLEASE WEAR COMFORTABLE CLOTHING that you can move in. We will be barefoot, and we will sometimes be sitting or lying on the floor. We will provide all-gender bathrooms and changing areas. All ages, all bodies, all levels, all welcome! There will be no touch involved.
Wheelchair accessible venue, workshop area and bathrooms. All-gender bathroom /changing room available.
Please come a bit early to change clothes or find the space.
THIS WORKSHOP is part of Sean Dorsey Dance’s week-long residency at 7 Stages: don’t miss our performance of BOYS IN TROUBLE September 12-15!
* WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT? Sean will open with some breathing and relaxation, then will lead the group through some basic stretching, dance movements and simple dance phrases. The group will also create our own simple movement ideas, and we’ll finish with some more breathing and relaxation. No experience necessary! This will be super-friendly, non-judgmental, and for ALL levels, including TOTAL beginners! This is about loving up our unique bodies and creating safe space for us all to express ourselves.
* YIKES! I’M AFRAID TO DANCE IN PUBLIC! We know that transgender, nonbinary and LGBTQ people often don’t feel welcome, safe or comfortable in dance studios or classes … so please know this is truly going to be a super-friendly environment!
* WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? Wear clothing that you’re comfortable in – and that you can move freely around in (including laying on the floor). Please wear sweatpants, loose shorts, loose pants, leggings or any other comfortable bottoms and a comfortable shirt.
* WHERE CAN I PEE? WHERE CAN I CHANGE? We will provide access to an all-gender bathroom and an all-gender changing room.
* WILL WE WEAR SHOES? We will be dancing barefoot.
* WILL THERE BE ANY TOUCH INVOLVED? There will be no touch involved.
* DO I HAVE TO TALK? We will do introductions and will do a creative exercise that involves speaking several words outloud, but you will be given the option not to speak outloud at all if you prefer.
* CAN I WEAR LEGWARMERS AND A SPARKLY HEADBAND? Heck yeah! Let’s make our workshop space as playful and fun as you want it!
* WAIT A SECOND: I’M NOT “IN SHAPE” … CAN I STILL COME? Heck yeah! This is for all levels, all bodies, all heart rates! You can sit down or rest or cheer from the sidelines at any time you need to!
* NO REALLY, I’M SUPER TERRIFIED … SHOULD I STILL COME? Heck yeah! This is a super supportive, loving environment that is super supportive and welcoming of the super terrified! Being really nervous or scared is a really common and normal feeling, and we understand what it feels like. Please come and join us!