Artistic Director Sean Dorsey presented about Sean Dorsey Dance and trans equity at the 2019 Jacob’s Pillow National Dance Presenters’ Forum.
Dorsey spoke about his personal history and experience (including censorship and intense isolation) as a transgender dancemaker, spoke about Sean Dorsey Dance and Fresh Meat Productions, and then worked with the cohort on concrete “nuts and bolts” action steps for trans equity that presenters could take back home to their organizations/facilities.
Jacob’s Pillow, in partnership with the Association of Performing Arts Professionals (APAP) and The New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA), brought together a cohort of dance presenters for an immersive professional development experience to:
- Strengthen curatorial practice in dance
- Discuss critical issues facing the dance field
- Learn about and share audience engagement strategies
- Explore collaborative strategies to support choreographic development
- Strengthen professional networks
As a learning cohort, participants, facilitators, presenters, and virtual panelists interrogated and contributed perspectives on the evolving state of 21st-century dance presenting.